Monday, January 7, 2019

What To Do With That Pesky Horn

A Horn Holder of a Different Color (shape).

So i have been using the same drinking horn since my second year in the SCA, roughly 19 years ago. I love this horn, I have never found one with same dimensions that fit so well on my belt and hand. The problem is where do you put it when you have liquid in it that you have not yet consumed? 

I had seen a few options most of which required the horn to be placed in some kind of cradle horizontally. That did not work for me for a number of reasons. 
1. It takes up too much real estate on the table. 
2. It's ugly.
3. It's ugly.
So I decided to tackle the issue on my own as all good viking blacksmiths would do. I wanted something that would hold the horn upright so all the liquid would remain in the horn. I also wanted it to be of a design the would work with almost any standard SCA type horn. After a few attempts I settled on the design above. It is versatile, works with virtually any horn and is as much a piece of art as a useful implement.  For those with a larger horn, the horn holder is scalable, as seen with this gigantic horn from Canada.


But wait there is more. Not only is it scalable but it is mountable as requested by a friend of a friend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Norse Era Slide Lock and Hinges This is a project I have been wanting to take on for a very long time. So when my  Laurel suggested I make a...