Sunday, December 30, 2018

Medieval Grozing Tool



I was asked by Conor O Ceallaigh, an immensely talented stained glass artist, if i could make him a "Grozing Tool".  I had no idea what a Grozing Tool was, but this was not the first glass tool Conor had asked me to make so I said yes of course. Then I needed him to explain what a growing tool was.

Conor gave me the basic dimensions it needed to be. The critical dimension apparently is the space between the end of the hook and the 90 degree corner. 

I started with a piece of 3/8” round stock (mild steel) and flattened it to the width and thickness I needed for the tool.  I had to over estimate the overall length to include drawing out the hook and the 3/8” gap. Once I had the whole piece flattened and relatively square, I began to draw out the first hook. Luckiy I had left the piece thick enough to be able to draw down and out without the it rolling on itself too much. 

The first hook was a little long so I nipped the end off and it curved perfectly and gave me my 3/8” gap. The opposite side went smoother (as it usually does when you do it a second time) 

Once the tool was finished I cleaned it up with some 40 grit sand paper and a wire brush. 

I then returned it to the forge to harden it with a water quench. 










No comments:

Post a Comment

Norse Era Slide Lock and Hinges This is a project I have been wanting to take on for a very long time. So when my  Laurel suggested I make a...