Monday, December 31, 2018

THE EGG SPOON

The Egg Spoon was an interesting project. I was informed by a friend 
about this Egg Spoon that was all the rage in Berkley California. He sent me 
the link and I was summarily horrified to find out that this Chef in Cali
had been profiled on 60 Minutes and made an egg (a single egg) over
a log fire in her kitchen using an Egg Spoon. I was even more horrified 
to find out you could purchase said Egg Spoon for $250 from a very 
shrewd blacksmith in San Fransisco.

I looked at the pictures of this magical spoon and figured I could make it in 
about an hour. So I went out to the shop, and made it in about forty minutes. 
The one thing I noticed about the design of he original is that he riveted 
his handle to the inside of the bowl. Most traditional spoons of this 
style rivet the handle below the bowl for stability. Even though I knew
it was structurally incorrect,  I made an exact replica of the famous 
Egg Spoon.  

We brought it with us to various events and while many people enjoyed 
the saga of the Egg Spoon no one wanted to buy it. In fact we actually made an 
egg in it at the EK 50 Event using the forge. It was a rousing success. 

Finally at Pennsic someone was looking for a giant Chili spoon and
 though the Egg Spoon was the right size but needed a longer handle. 
Very quickly the Egg Spoon became a chili spoon with the handle
 riveted correctly and all was right with the world.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Norse Era Slide Lock and Hinges This is a project I have been wanting to take on for a very long time. So when my  Laurel suggested I make a...