Sunday, December 30, 2018

Viking Double Measuring Spoon

While looking for a new project to work on, I came across a measuring spoon from the York dig. 

















What I found most interesting about the spoon after reading the documentation was that they could only guess what it might be used for. The deliberate fabrication of two different size bowls would indicate that there was a definite and predetermined use. As stated in the article, it might have been used for measuring various substances which would make sense given the different size spoons and the apparent smallness of the spoons themselves
I made the spoon out of mild steel (1014) which is close in form and texture to wrought iron. I might in the future attempt the same spoon out of copper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Norse Era Slide Lock and Hinges This is a project I have been wanting to take on for a very long time. So when my  Laurel suggested I make a...